Old 30-04-2015, 02:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
Moe DeLoughan Moe DeLoughan is offline

Default planting a tree

On 4/29/2015 3:07 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
herb white wrote:

I recently purchased an autumn blaze maple tree about 6 feet tall.
I would like any info on how to plant it. Thanks for any reply

It'll be a good ten years before you
have the beginnings of an actual tree, and about 30-40 years before
it's a beauty, so I hope you're fairly young to have planted a
seedling.

Autumn Blaze grows like a freakin' rocket, averaging three feet per
year. In ten years he'll have a substantial young tree; in fifteen,
he'll have a large tree. He'd have to neglect it severely to have it
grow as slowly as you describe.

In fact, its rapid rate of growth often results in cracks and splits
in the bark on the trunk, something I noted in an earlier post.
Usually not an issue other than cosmetic, but it illustrates just how
fast these trees can grow.