Old 30-04-2015, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Michael Uplawski Michael Uplawski is offline

Default Wasps

Good evening.

On Thu, 30 Apr 2015 15:32:05 +0100,
Corporal Jones wrote:
Just been in the garage and heard a rasping noise, looked up to the roof
and there is a wasp building a nest.

We have made a similar experience, some days ago. First we observed a
wasp rasping wood from our door frame. As it was apparently a beautiful
queen, I explained the details to my wife and even told her, that the
wasp is obviously about to construct her new nest.

The same morning, when I wanted to use our “economic wood cooker” (you
call it a rocket stove), I saw the nest glued right above the front
opening of the stove. I simply removed it and showed the work in progress
to my wife, then went ahead starting the fire. When the weather is fine,
we heat water that way, because wood is the one resource that we are
not short of.

In the evening the same thing happened again as the wasp has
begun reconstructing the nest at the exact same location! My wife
removed it this time, but also appears to have unintentionally killed
the wasp with a piece of wood *inside* the stove.

Kind of tragic.

Michael

--
Location: Lower Normandy (Orne), France
GnuPG/OpenPGP 4096R/3216CF02 2013-11-15 [expires: 2015-11-15]