Old 03-05-2015, 12:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wasps

"Corporal Jones" wrote in message
On 30/04/2015 16:15, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Thu, 30 Apr 2015 15:32:05 +0100, Corporal Jones
wrote:

Just been in the garage and heard a rasping noise, looked up to the roof
and there is a wasp building a nest.
It is about 1" diameter at the moment and although I have nothing
against wasps it will be a bit disturbing having a nest above your head
whilst working.
It would be fascinating to see it being built but I need to knock it on
the head before it gets to big, which would be the best way?
I could knock it down or use a weed flame-thrower on it or glue a
plastic pot over it but would it just move somewhere else in the garage
or give up and go elsewhere.

Barry

Reluctant though I am to suggest a wasp killer spray or powder, given
the nest's location I think you have no option. If it's only small,
now's the time to destroy it, before they get too numerous. You can
get powder puffer packs, although I got rid of a nest under my
mother's house a few years ago (she is seriously allergic to stings)
using an aerosol-type spray, which produced a jet of foam rather than
a cloud of spray, and could be directed at the nest from a safe(ish)
distance, say 10 ft. Attack it at dusk when they're inside, beat a
hasty retreat, and with a bit of luck you'll kill the queen, and so
ends the colony.

At the moment it is only the queen just starting to build a nest so I do
not want to go to the expense of propriety wasp killer sprays and I am
away this weekend so will not have time to go out shopping.
I think I will just wait until she is out collecting materials then cut it
down and hope she does not start to build another one.

I go along with this idea rather than attack with chemicals.