Old 03-05-2015, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lynx reintroduction

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 03 May 2015 09:59:59 +0100, Fuschia
wrote:
On Sun, 3 May 2015 08:30:52 +0100, (Larry Stoter) wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Interesting reintroduction planned for specific areas, it's worked in some
other areas of Europe and we certainly need something to control the Deer.

http://www.lynxuk.org/

Absolutely NOT.

Oh, definitely yes.

Prefered prey is deer of which there are far to many in the UK - because
there are no natural predators - causing all sorts of habitat
destruction.

Reintroduction of Lynx is already happening in large parts of Western
Europe and seems to be going fairly well.

Lynx would be a marvellous addition to many ecosystems.

Lynx are without doubt lovely creatures.
But if there is an excessive deer population, wouldn't it be better
for humans to eat them rather than import wild animals to do the job?

Venison is delicious and much more healthy than most farm animals.

and culling by a trained marksman is surely more humane that being
chased, brought down and gored to death by a lynx.

Ye gods and little fishes - just HOW many errors can you introduce into
a simple sentence? The most problematic deer are muntjac and roe,
which are woodland animals - dense cover in the first case - and both
live in densely populated areas, including suburbia (especially the
former). There are also damn-few people in the UK who know how to
shoot safely under such conditions - and a much larger pool of
'trained marksmen' who are little better than official and trigger
happy gunsels (e.g. police firearms officers). We SO want such
people firing high-velocity 0.24"+ rounds in such places!

Also, lynx do not have horns, are not cursory predators, and kill
(like most cats) by biting the throat, leading to a quick death or
escape. They also kill the old, ill and weak animals, reducing the
number that die a lingering death, unlike hunters who prefer healthy
animals.

And, on another topic, lynx are very shy and almost never eat pets
in the areas where they coexist. I agree that the hysteria of the
seriously ignorant British public would be a major problem, as would
the objections of those who breed peasants, sorry, pheasants for
slaughter. And, no, I am not one of the "Don't shoot the little
birdies" brigade - I have done it myself, but not like that.

Our woodlands are facing a catastrophe, and so are many of the
woodland birds and animals, because of the uncontrolled deer
population. In the 1950s, it was kept down by farm dogs roaming
free at night (and shooting them with shotguns), but they have
got out of control since that stopped. We desperately need lynx
back, and we need them back NOW.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.