Old 03-05-2015, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lynx reintroduction

In article ,
Phil Cook wrote:
On 03/05/2015 12:43, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 3 May 2015 13:28:16 +0200, Michael Uplawski
wrote:

Wild boar definitely attack people without provocation. I've seen it happen
quite close to Toulouse.

I rather think they don't. Where boar are hunted they are likely to
associate the bipedal animal in its territory as a threat based on
past experience. It is probably that the people unthinkingly provoke
the animal by cornering it or getting between it and its young.

I have been walking and encountered wild boar. It was a sounder,
feeding, so I stood 200x away, made a noise, and waited until they
moved away. If they hadn't? I would have backtracked and used
another route. That is EXACTLY the same as what you do with the
more ferocious cattle and horses. And if you walk around a bush
and see one face to face? Back off, and let it do the same.
I have done that with several animals, including two Cape buffalo.

The reason that gunslingers are so much more likely to be killed
is that they fool themselves into thinking that they are the
reincarnation of Allan Quartermain, and bull straight ahead,
forcing the animal into a confrontation. Or they shoot an animal
that is 'threatening' them, only to discover that it was actually
defending the rest of its group. Guns are a sod-awful method of
defence, whether against humans or wild animals.

Oh, and you know what you have to do to stop a 'charging' grizzly
if you have a small gun like a .30-06? You drop to one knee, wait
until it is pretty close, and shoot it through the heart. Shooting
from an upright position will probably just wound it (it's skull
is pretty solid, though not in a class with Cape buffalo), as will
blazing away from a distance. And a wounded bear is a ****ed off
bear. Now, just how many gunslingers would REALLY be cool enough to
do that in an emergency?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.