Old 03-05-2015, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lynx reintroduction

On Sun, 03 May 2015 13:26:47 +0100, Phil Cook wrote:

Wild boar definitely attack people without provocation. I've seen it
happen quite close to Toulouse.

Sorry, no. (I understand Phil didn't write this, I lost the attribution.)

There have been a couple of "wild boar attacks" during all the time I've
lived in France, but there are lots of boar here.

I rather think they don't. Where boar are hunted they are likely to
associate the bipedal animal in its territory as a threat based on past
experience. It is probably that the people unthinkingly provoke the
animal by cornering it or getting between it and its young.

That's exactly right. Boar are very intelligent and know people
represent a terrible danger. As a result they're usually very shy. But
in all species protective mothers can be dangerous.

I've lived with boar for 25 years. A lot of boar. The will come and dig
at night 50m from the house; but if they here either dog or human, they
bolt. I've had many encounters, if you use common sense there is no
issue of safety.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy