Old 03-05-2015, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Vir Campestris Vir Campestris is offline

Default Hand Pump

On 29/04/2015 22:53, Michael Uplawski wrote:
From the beginnig, I should have mentioned that I want to install the
pump permanently on our well. A hand pump (or just any kid of pump)
means an improvement over the bucket and winch that I am using right
now, but having learned to reduce our energy consumption drastically, I
do not feel like sacrificing first a considerable sum of money for a
motor pump, secondly a lot of petrol each time that I need to water my
plants.

I'd check them out before you spend too much money.

My experience is with much smaller distance to the water. I sail boats,
and there's a saying "The best pump is a frightened man with a bucket".
We have a few small pumps for getting water out of the bottom of boats.
When there's only a few cm a bucket wouldn't work; but they seem to need
a lot of effort for not much water.

There's probably a good reason why village wells seem to have pumps - I
imagine the big ones are better than a bucket and rope.

Andy