Old 04-05-2015, 05:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Harvest

George Shirley wrote:
songbird wrote:
George Shirley wrote:

Harvested three sweet chiles yesterday and just picked six yellow summer
squash today. Looks like stir fry for dinner tonight.

enjoy!

i am finishing up the last jars of freezer
jam from last year and making room in the
freezer for more (hope!).

All the years I've been preserving our own food I've never made freezer
jam. I guess it's just so easy for me to make canned jellies and jams
and a lot at one time. In addition both freezers stay full of prepared
meals, meats, and frozen veggies.

the taste is different enough that as long as i have
freezer or fridge space i'll keep making it. it doesn't
have to be frozen if you eat it within a few months. i
also like that it uses less sugar and doesn't need the
oven or stove on in the middle of the summer.

i've only done this with strawberries, i'm not sure i'd
like it with any other fruit but some day if i get a
bunch of something else i may give it a try. blueberries
we usually eat fresh.

Last time I made pear jelly I ended up with twenty odd pints and another
fourteen half pints in one batch. That's the norm most of the time. The
exception is figs, our fig tree is not a big producer yet so fig jam
comes in one or two pints at a time.

in a few more years you'll be making large batches
of fig jam.

This coming Wednesday the "pick your own" fruit farm is opening.
Blueberries in May and June, blackberries in June, figs in July, pears
in July, citrus in October/November. Probably be picking at least once a
month. Prices are cheaper than in supermarkets and we both can pick
large quantities in a short time. As it is the wild blackberries are
ripening right now.

i hope you make a haul!

looks like we might get some rain tonight.

songbird