Old 04-05-2015, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lynx reintroduction

On 04/05/15 12:17, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

Well excuse me for thinking reintroducing lynx, bears and wolves are a
crap idea...

I would if you were - but you were merely reacting emotionally, and
not thinking.

So? I'm happy with the ecosystem in this country and I don't want anyone
introducing any new (by modern standards) predatory animals.

There are reasonable arguments against reintroductions
(weak ones in the case of lynx and wolves), but all the assertions
against have been irrational prejudice, picked up from fairy tales
and the likes of Daily Wail silly season articles.

It probably IS a bad idea to consider reintroducing bears, at least
unless some pretty massive other restoration projects are under way,
but everybody who has looked at the issues rationally has concluded
that reintroducing lynx and wolves would be practically risk-free
to humans (which is not to say that it would succeed).

Hmm let me see...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._America#2010s

That might not be a high frequency of deaths, but I still do not want
the buggers in my country.

And I fancy my chances with a chasing cow better than a bear. At least
of I get over a fence or up a tree, I'm probably OK. The bear is not
going to stop.