Old 05-05-2015, 03:09 AM posted to rec.gardens
~misfit~[_4_] ~misfit~[_4_] is offline

Default A bit damp here

Once upon a time on usenet Leon Fisk wrote:
On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 12:25:41 +1200
"~misfit~" wrote:

snip
My biggest problem when there's lots and lots of rain is all of that
water leeching the goodness out of the containers I grow dwarf fruit
trees in. I try to get out between the worst of it and suck the
water out of the 'saucers' and put it into a barrel. I use a 250ml
'syringe' that is branded 'Masport' was sold for removing oil from a
lawnmower engine (and is no loger available new) to do the job.
However it's plunger isn't completely water-tight (designed to work
in oil) so would love ideas on what else I could use - preferably
500ml or more per 'suck' but I'll consider anything.

Can you get/find anything like this in your Country?

http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-u...ump-66418.html

I've got a similar version (paid much, much more from a Marine
Supplier) that has worked good to suck the oil from the differentials
on my truck, along with the power steering pump.

Thanks for the suggestion Leon. I have something similar which I used to
remove crankcase oil from my mower for oil changes now I've repurposed the
'giant syringe' that I got with it. However it wouldn't work well for me for
removing water from my plant saucers - I have chronic back pain and can't
bend forward for long (and there's not always room to crouch near a potted
tree).

Hence the syringe with a couple feet of hose on it works well, I hardly need
to bend at all - if only it had a one litre barrel instead of the 250ml that
it can suck at a time then life would be easier for me.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."