Old 05-05-2015, 12:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
~misfit~[_4_] ~misfit~[_4_] is offline

Default I need the best soil for tomatoes in pots

Once upon a time on usenet Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
On Monday, March 5, 2007 at 7:34:06 AM UTC-8, geronimo wrote:
I am in a rent house so I don't plant anything in the ground, its
all in pots. I am in zone 10. Last spring (EARLY) I planted a
tomato(a variety that others are growing here with excellent
results) in a pot. Had full sun. Had plenty of drainage holes,
volcanic rock at the bottom. The tomato plant grew only so-so. I
don't think it was anywhere near the size/foliage spread of one
planted in in a garden. This pot actually is a large galvanized wash
tub, so the plant sure had more than enough room.
I used a mix...some sand, but mostly Miracle-Gro potting soil. At
the price of Miracle-Gro, it should be THE BEST, but the plant only
produced three or four fruit. There are lots of honeybees around.
I thought that maybe it was just that tomatoes don't do well/produce
much fruit when potted...however a relative of mine said that he once
grew tomatoes in pots, and they produced lots of fruit. SO I guess I
don't have the right soil or fertilizers. I watered them
ocassionally, as all the potted plant, with MIracle-Gro solution.
What did I do wrong, or is there some better soil I can put in the
container?

Dunno if this has been covered, but did you provide DRAINAGE?

So *there's* the original post above yours. :-)

FWIW honey bees won't do any good when it comes to tomatoes. Bumble bees are
far and away the best pollinators of tomatoes, the need to be
'buzz-pollinated'. All of the commercial growers here with their acres of
glass houses use only bumble bees.
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)