Old 07-05-2015, 05:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Harvest

On 5/7/2015 10:46 AM, Derald wrote:
George Shirley wrote:

Harvested three sweet chiles yesterday and just picked six yellow summer
squash today. Looks like stir fry for dinner tonight.

I'm getting a few English peas. They're heavily into their first
flush of blossoms and just beginning to fill pods. A second variety,
untried by me, is just coming into enflorescence. We've had a stretch
(well, a few days) of cooler temperatures resembling "spring"; maybe
they'll help peas' yields a bit. The first planting of two varieties of
snap beans, yum, is just beginning to fill pods and the second is just
starting to bloom. Finding space for more is a bit of a challenge but
most years I can plant beans productively as late as late May or the
first week of June.
Cukes and summer squash are still juvenile but growing apace as are
cowpeas, okra. The eggplant is not thrilled to be in the shade of the
collards so I guess I'll be planting more elsewhere. No peppers yet.
No tomatoes. This year, am reverting to past practice of cultivating
jalapeƱo and Tabasco peppers AWA (maybe) eggplants as perennials in
containers (small enough to carry indoors).

Was out in the garden early this morning, another large zucchini found
hiding deep in the zuke forest and a fairly large yellow squash. The
green beans are getting bigger each day and the cukes are coming on
strong. Need to get out there and net the fig tree, mockingbirds love
the figs and so do I.

Need to harvest the chard again. I am amazed at how long the chard in
the front flower bed have been producing. If I remember correctly we
planted them in the spring of 2013 and they're still producing heavily.
Luckily they are out favorite green good both steamed and raw in a
salad. The dwarf Barbados cherry bushes are loaded with blooms this
year, may get enough to actually make at least a jar of cherry jelly.
Seedy little devils but I can always sieve out the seeds. Neighbors
Pineapple guava is full of young fruit, I'm hoping they grow well as
they have offered any fruit to me for a share of the jelly or jam.

Cool and overcast today, possibilities of more rain. Rain is always
welcome here as municipal utility district water is expensive.

Wish I had as much garden space as you Derald, it's hard to get a decent
crop on a 6500 square foot property. With a large house, driveway, etc.
there's not much room for crops but we're pushing it. In addition we're
situated on five feet of Houston gumbo clay so lots of hard digging to
plant trees, bushes, etc. One reason we garden with raised beds, much
easier for old people. Reminds me I need to reinforce my Ames Garden
Buddy scooter.