Old 11-05-2015, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Michael Bell Michael Bell is offline

Default HorseTail

In message
Martin Brown wrote:

On 10/05/2015 16:06, tvrchimaera wrote:
Having problems with a weed which I have been told is HorseTail.
Any suggestions to manage it?

Apart from moving house? I am told low yield tactical nukes are
reasonably effective against it but you should expect some regrowth.

Basically bruise and apply gel formulation glyphosate or dig down with a
large screwriver and pull up every single stem as far down as you can
get. A combination of these will keep it under control but the roots are
so extensive it will take decades to eliminate (forever if there is
somewhere nearby like a railway embankment where it can see the sun).

Don't be discouraged by this macho-evil talk. If it's so aggressive,
why doesn't it take over the world? Horse-tail is plant like any
other. Pull it up or week-kill it every time it shows up and you'll
win. (But I do have to say that in the under-floor space of my house,
I saw what I though were mysterious electric wires, then I realised
they were horse-tail roots)

A neighbour (NOT next door) allowed horse-tail to take over his
garden. It looked interestingly different, as a moss-garden looks
interestingly different. It's your choice!

Michael Bell

--

---