Old 12-05-2015, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default HorseTail

It grows between paving stones in The Netherlands. Under the paving stones is
sand, all the way down.

The tallest hollyhock I ever saw (14 feet and covered in blooms) was
also growing "between" paving slabs. On lifting the slabs (I had to in
the end), I found the roots travelling at least that far in all
directions without any contact with soil. The plant seemed to be
thriving on top of a sand/hardcore base, but I've never understood how.
Seems some plants don't need any nutrition at all.