Old 13-05-2015, 12:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Lord Bergamot Lord Bergamot is offline

Default Walmart Asparagus

The last three springs I've bought Asparagus crowns from Walmart. The first time, none grew. Last year two of twelve grew, but died during winter. This year it looks like one will grow. When will I learn not to buy from Walmart? It must dry out in the packages.

Twenty five years ago I ordered Asparagus from a mail order company, and they all grew. I've been harvesting plenty of Martha Washington every year, but I wanted to try some purple. Maybe it's not too late to order some and plant this year. Maybe I'll order some white too.

Seeds from the Martha Washington blow around and germinate. Asparagus can usually grow like weeds once they get established. The purple are supposed to turn green when cooked. I'm getting hungry thinking about it.

--
:-)
Don't let the Zombies get you!!!!

My God is better than your god!!!!