Old 13-05-2015, 06:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Michael Uplawski Michael Uplawski is offline

Default HorseTail

On Wed, 13 May 2015 00:09:59 +0200,
Martin wrote:
On Tue, 12 May 2015 16:18:42 +0200, Michael Uplawski
wrote:

On Tue, 12 May 2015 13:55:51 +0200,
Martin wrote:

They re moved the whole of the dirty layer. The Rhine has a lot of industrial
pollution in it, not just bacteria.

Did not make that claim. The sand of the dunes does a perfect job for
particles and some chemical pollution, both by providing with its grains
a surface to catch and keep “stuff” and by keeping a lot of the
pollution from simply sinking in deeper. The exact function depends on
the substance, filtered.

I did not mention filtering out bacteria, but *providing bacteria* in
the roots of specialized vegetation that eat, transform and thus clean
away a lot of polluting substances, even before they can sink into the
sand. Usual municipal sewage treatment plants under optimal conditions
may be effective at 70%... I have to guess, what this means; they
probably remove 70% of the pollution but event that is not very clear.

A domestic wet park with two succeeding basins, that works with
vegetation, is almost always better than that and appears to be less
sensible to altering conditions, like a changing volume of water,
temperature and the like, the latter probably for its modest size.
But nearby, such a system serves a whole village, looks nice and does
not smell at all (by the way).

As we are only two on our terrain and use a composting toilet, our
system comprises but 1 single basin, actually divided in two to
alternate between both sides for about two weeks each.

[This does, of course, not necessarily have the slightest impact on
horsetail. I do not have any and thus would not know... Actually, no one
has horsetail here. The pastures do not provide the necessary compaction
of the ground.]

Cheerio,

Michael
- --
Location: Lower Normandy (Orne), France
GnuPG/OpenPGP 4096R/3216CF02 2013-11-15 [expires: 2015-11-15]
sub 4096R/2751C550 2013-11-15 [expires: 2015-11-15]
[Next key will use elliptic-curve algorithm! :-) Get GnuPG!!]