Old 13-05-2015, 10:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Walmart Asparagus

On 5/13/2015 12:21 PM, songbird wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
We received almost three inches of rain overnight. I'm afraid to check
the zucchini patch, there may be a canoe hiding in there.

time to switch that space to a different crop?

songbird

I have suggested that to SWMBO but she's against it. I just picked three
cups of green beans to go with our dinner and found three more
zucchini's hiding under the leaves. One weighed nearly three lbs, the
others weren't obvious giants but were on their way to that stature.

Seems the green beans liked the rain too as do the cukes and sweet
chiles. Picked two nice cukes that were resting on the ground. Around
here if you don't get the low lying fruit the slugs will, I won this
time. Mosquitoes are terrible this afternoon, had to get the anti-itch
stuff out of the medicine cabinet I got bitten so many times. If we get
a couple of dry days the birds will start eating up the skeeters. We
have two types of swallows, purple and black martins, and what we call
bull jars, birds that eat insects at night and look a lot like a bat.
And we also have small bats here. Day time all the local birds eat
mosquitoes, even the seed eaters like skeeters. Thank goodness for all
of them.

We didn't get any tornadoes but a few small ones came within fifteen
miles of us, that's close enough for me.