Old 14-05-2015, 02:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Lord Bergamot Lord Bergamot is offline

Default Walmart Asparagus

Gary wrote:
"Lord Bergamot" wrote:
The last three springs I've bought Asparagus crowns from Walmart. The first time, none grew. Last year two of twelve grew, but died during winter.

Since you've already got asparagus, why not buy seeds and grow your own?
Lots of all-male types available, only takes an extra year (start in plug
flats earlynursery bed 6"X6" for a seasonpermanent bed. My Jersey Knight
crowns ALL transplanted well (I also bought a 25 roots of another type mail
order; they sent me 27; 24 grew and all survived an upstate NY winter in a
raised bed.

I've grown Asparagus from seed from my plants, but have never seen seed advertised in seed magazines, at least as far as I can remember. I'll look tonight.

--
:-)
Don't let the Zombies get you!!!!

My God is better than your god!!!!