Old 17-05-2015, 07:41 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens
Ant Ant is offline

Default Why are these two small trees not doing so well right nowin spring time?

On 5/16/2015 6:39 AM, David Hare-Scott wrote:

Here are two photographs:
1. http://i.imgur.com/v10OE56.jpg
2. http://i.imgur.com/n0w5Kno.jpg

Bad dirt? Not enough sun? Too much sun? Not enough water? Too moist?
Other plants and trees, near them, are doing fine though. They are in
Southern California near a house.

What are they?
What is the soil like? (texture, depth, pH, content)

I have no idea. They were there since my family moved here (months).
From what I saw and touched, it gets wet during the nightly water
sprinklers. When dried from the sun during hot times, then they get
hard. I know there are snails, Argentine ants, roly pollies (pill/sow
bugs), lizards, coyotes (rarely), etc.

How moist is it? (scrape away the bark and stick your finger in)

OK, I will try that. I will need to find a way to rip its barks.

The first looks about to die. Why are so many branches cut off? What
direction is the wall from #1? How many hours a day does the sun hit
the wall now?

That is why I was posting. It is not doing well. It got too big and
interfere with this adjacent walkway. I'd say the sun shine in this area
from the late morning hours to late afternoon/early evening hours. This
area gets way too bright for me to close my window blinds, so I could
see my computer monitors. The sun rises behind this white wall among the
huge hill with green trees, plants, etc.

The second doesn't look too bad but the photo is overexposed and I can't
see the colour of the leaves. What seems to be wrong with it?

Ignore the green leaves in the background. The tree is pretty has no
leaves like the other one. :/

Facing this wall, it is about 58 degrees (NE) according to iOS v8.3's
compass.
--
"God is a kid with an ant farm..." --Constantine movie.
| |o o| |