Old 17-05-2015, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default End of "grandfather rights"

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 May 2015 21:50:52 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

I called in at one of the agricultural merchants in the area, I say
Agricultural merchant, but like all of them now they are glorified rural
supermarkets for horse owners etc. They were taken over a couple of
years ago and are now part of the Wynnstay group, a group of around 50
stores.
Well to get to the point, I said something about the Grandfathers rights
ending in November and the problems that would bring re buying
chemicals. but 2 of the staff were at a meeting a couple of weeks ago
and were told that they could still sell chemicals as long as they were
told that they were going to be used by a trained person. No paperwork
would have to be produced.
That's not what I have read, it's going to be chaotic by the looks of
things.
David @ a now damp side of Swansea bay.

Not having a clue what you were on about, I looked it up and found the
following, that may help those as ignorant as I was.

http://tinyurl.com/m4aex59

A current exemption in UK law, commonly known as "grandfather rights",
allows anyone born before 31 December 1964, to use plant protection
products (PPPs ) authorised for professional use on their own or their
employer's land, without having to hold a certificate (of competence)
although they should still be suitably trained and competent for their
job. The Plant Protection Products (Sustainable Use) Regulations 2012
allows this exemption to continue until 26 November 2015, after which
everyone who uses PPPs authorised for professional use must have a
certificate.

In addition, after 26 November 2015, it will be an offence for anyone
to purchase PPPs authorised for professional use unless they have
ensured that the intended end user has a certificate.

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

I can confirm that my local branch of Cornwall Farmers has told me that come
the Autumn they will no longer be able to sell me stuff which has been ok up
to now. Not a real problem as son has the bit of paper. but the other part
of the change is going to be fun. retail outlets of above a certain size
will not be able to sell garden chemicals of any sort to the public unless
they have a trained member of staff to give advice on said products. The
course is to cost £10 and will be done on line. It does not appear that the
trained member of staff has to do the selling or indeed have to be anywhere
near the stuff just be present somewhere!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs