Old 18-05-2015, 07:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default California Drought

On 5/18/2015 11:22 AM, David E. Ross wrote:
As of 1 May, the state-wide snowpack water content was only 3% of the
average for that date. As the rain and snow season ends, the 12 most
significant reservoirs were at 45% of capacity. The average for that
date is 77%. Note that the averages include prior drought years, not
only for the current drought but also for other droughts.

Oregon and Washington also declared various drought emergencies.

rant
My local water agency imposed new restrictions on the use of water to
irrigate my garden. Micromanaging my water use, the agency not only
decreed that I can run my sprinklers only twice a week but also on which
days -- Mondays, and Thursdays. Normally, I work in my garden on
Thursdays; but now the ground will be too wet. I will have to change to
Wednesdays. Will they next come into my house a time how long I shower?

My sympathy for drought hardships, but changing the day you work in your
garden? I hope that is the worst that befalls you ) Watering
restrictions (hours, days, no run-off) have been in force in Florida for
years. Clearwater installed an extensive reclaimed water system for
watering lawns years ago. Some areas around Tamps bay also ban sale of
fertilizer during certain months due to run-off polluting Tampa Bay.
There are too many folks who follow the "if a little is good, then a lot
is great" in fertilizer, herbicide, insecticide use; very sad.

In the meantime across California, land developers are still getting new
water connections. While existing residents and businesses are facing
rationing, developers are creating demands for even more water -- water
that does not exist -- for homes, factories, offices, restaurants, etc.
Also, rice and cotton -- both very thirsty crops -- are still being
planted.
/rant