Old 19-05-2015, 03:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default California Drought

On 5/19/2015 7:04 AM, Dan Espen wrote:
songbird writes:

Dan Espen wrote:
I understand Calif is getting closer to drinking some of that
recycled waste water.

already does in some places, they pump it back through a
wetland or put it back underground and then pump it back up
and run it through a treatment plant again. these are now
getting more and more common and people stop objecting
because that's pretty similar to what people in the rest
of the country also do (they drink treated water that comes
from rivers that have other cities upstream).

I don't think there is anywhere they go directly from sewage treatment
to back into water supply. They do have plants that apply
sufficient treatment.

Last I heard San Diego was getting close to giving it a try.

I'm for thinking bigger. We need Calif agriculture to feed us and the
country. A mega project to build a pipeline to the Columbia River
is a solution for the longer term.

peanuts compared to what they could accomplish if
they just stopped dumping all their treated water
and storm run off into the oceans and recycled more
water. they'd be just fine. it's just that it's
been so cheap now to just dump it that is what they've
set up to do. this is changing...

I've never seen the Columbia in person, but from the
maps and pictures, I don't see how "peanuts" applies.

The Columbia River flows through Washington and Oregon. Both states
have declared drought emergencies in some form.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see