Old 26-04-2003, 12:30 PM
wparrott

Default US pulls back from food war with Europe

Marcus Williamson wrote:
Out of curiosity:
How many years of safe use is enough?

BSE shows, for example, that 20 years is not enough:

http://www.organicconsumers.org/madcow/20103102.cfm

I would suggest that a number of human generations would be the
minimum required to determine whether or not a crop/food was safe.

Fair enough. This does raise a couple of questions:

1) How would you select the humans singled out for multi-generational
testing?

2) By your definition, could we now declare the strawberry safe to eat?
After all, it only came into existence in 1766, so we now have about 9
generations of strawberry eaters.

3) How about something like kiwi? We are not past the first generation
yet. Oh, I am sure some natives somewhere ate kiwi, but surely they
were not monitoring for negative effects, so we have to start from scratch.

4) How about pharmaceuticals? Must we test those for several generations?

5) or how about novel food mixtures? I mean take something like a soda
pop? It has a combination of ingredients never mixed together before.
We just don't know what they might do locked up in a can.

Please explain-- how do you determine what gets tested multiple
generations and what does not?

regards
Marcus