Old 20-05-2015, 09:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Onion tops

wawwiz wrote:
If some of you haven't figured it out yet, I'm kinda new to gardens so please be patient with me.

we all had to start somewhere.

Question: Im about to plant a bunch of red onion sets, they are about an inch or so in diameter, What I want to do is trim the green tops as they grow for salads etc. will this kill the onion underground or if I leave a little of the green will it continue to grow

the more green you cut off the less energy the onion will
have to make a bulb.

it is much better to plant chives or green onions or
bunching onions for that kind of cutting (less expensive than
onion sets too).

songbird