Old 21-05-2015, 03:52 AM posted to rec.gardens
Hypatia Nachshon Hypatia Nachshon is offline

Default Tomatoes - breaking my oath

On Monday, April 6, 2015 at 4:29:30 PM UTC-7, Hypatia Nachshon wrote:
On Monday, April 6, 2015 at 11:18:38 AM UTC-7, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

Question: I was suprised to see following envelope labels:

#1 from 2014 crop
#2 from 2013 crop
#3 from 2012 crop

Wondering if that means that #2 and #3 were unsuccessful so they're still
selling "older seeds.

Possibly, but probably not. More likely it means they had sufficient
seed remaining from the previous crop years that they didn't bother
purchasing more, they just re-tested the older seed and updated the
labeling for the packets. That's why you generally see the phrase
'packed for' on the label. Tomato seeds retain their viability for
many years, incidentally.

Also, most retail seed providers don't grow their own, they purchase
from third-party sources.

I worked for a regional seed company years ago. We were the
distributors of bulk seeds from many major and minor seed companies.
If you wanted to buy any of their seeds in bulk, you didn't buy direct
from the producers, you bought from one of their regional
distributors. They sold us the same seed they sold to all the
companies that package and sell the very same seeds under their
private labels. Burpee, Ferry-Morse, etc. - as long as it's the same
variety name, it's all the same seeds coming from the same sources.
Only the package and the price differ.

Dern! How depressing! From the aura surrounding Tatiana's Web site
(part of which I quoted above), I really got the impression that it was an
in-house operation, not that they bought from wholesalers for resale.

Especially since these seeds sounded "exotic"; not the familiar brands
carried by most nurseries.

Sigh! Guess I'll have to wait till (a) they germinate and (b) bear fruit, probably well into summer. (beats up self) Should have started earlier....

Tx for reply.

HB

The jury is in on germination of the 3 Canadian "exotics". Two of them
ZERO. Other one, TWO puny little things that don't seem to be growing. I'm
sending the packets back to Tatiana with germination rates.

Note that these were planted in good cimposted soil and appropriately watered.

I'm on a Library computer right now (don't ask!!!) but when I get computer fixed I'll post the varieties of tomato plants I bought at nabe nursery, which are doing fine. Interestingly, the plant person who helped me choose "sharp, acid" -- which has been my quest -- noted that most customers want "sweet"??!!

Go figure.

HB