Old 23-05-2015, 04:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Afternoon in the garden

On 5/23/2015 9:16 AM, songbird wrote:
George Shirley wrote:

We spent about an hour in our small garden picking green beans (third
time), yellow squash, eggplant, and sweet chiles. Haven't gotten a ripe
tomato yet. I suspect it's due to all the rain we've been getting and
very little sunshine. We have zucchini plants nearly three feet tall,
the climbing beans are almost two feet taller than the four foot tall
netting, and the eggplant are nearly past five feet tall. With all that
water and lots of good compost mixed into the bed before planting they
are going wild.

The brown crowder peas aren't climbing yet but have leaves as big as
saucer and some even larger but no blooms yet. The Hopi red lima beans
are making beans now and still blooming like crazy so it won't be long
before we pick those.

i'm glad to hear things are coming right along down
there.

My old Ames Garden Buddy has bit the dust, my daughter gave it to me at
Christmas about ten or twelve years ago and it just can't handle my big
behind any more. Bought a deluxe tractor scoot from Amazon and it came
in today so I put it together. Hope it lasts at least as long as the
Garden Buddy. As a matter of fact I hope I last that long. G

you never know these days. do you have four
wheel drive, a reverse gear and mud flaps?

The front wheels swivel so I can steer it, reverse gear is pushing
backwards with your feet and no need for mud flaps. I do like the
pneumatic tires versus solid tires, they will probably last longer. We
have a steel wagon with pneumatic tires that is 20 years old and the
tires are still good. We store such things in the garden shed, may get
hot in there but not direct sunshine.

Looks like rain again.

lucky for the drought in Texas finally getting a break from
all of these storms, with reserviors filling up again.

we've not seen much rain for the past few weeks, an inch
or so in three weeks is well behind normal. the ditch out
back is quite low for this time of year. i could almost
get in there and do some needed work on cutting brush back
and cleaning up a few things that have washed down from
upstream, but the water is still too cold...

songbird

Our cold water runs hot in the house for about two or three minutes when
turned on. Even with reflective foil under the roof and lots of
insulation the attic gets very hot.

Put up the four pints of green beans this morning, waiting for the
pressure canner to cool down now. Made a birthday cake for Miz Anne, got
side dish ready for family birthday for Miz Anne and two great grands.
Gonna be noisy and lots of baby kisses.