Old 24-05-2015, 11:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Frank is offline

Default nights are 45F, can I leave my pots outside yet?

On 5/24/2015 5:30 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

I bought my little tomatoes last week from the local
green house, They are in their little pots in my garage
near a window getting pampered while I wait for the
cold night to relent.

The weather service says the nights will be ~45 F for
at least the next week. Is it okay to put my plants outside
for the night yet?

I plan to put them up against the house to keep them warmer.

Many thanks,
-T

I have to watch the weather service carefully, as we can
still have freezing nights.

I understand frost can still be possible if it is colder at the ground
than the air above it where temperature is measured.

I bought my tomatoes small and transplanted them into bigger containers.
They were kept in a window in the house and brought outside, slowly into
more and more sun, and brought in at night until overnight temps
exceeded 50. A surprise cold night, with little wind, invites frost.

Planted outside in containers May 15 and noticed marble sized tomato
yesterday.