Old 26-05-2015, 05:04 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dan Espen[_2_] Dan Espen[_2_] is offline

Default The wisdom of introducing earthworms to a yard

User Bp writes:

One thing that struck me is the relative scarcity of earthworms in both
the garden and lawn areas. ...
In digging in both flowerbeds and the
lawn itself earthworms are seen, but rarely; maybe one every second or third
shovelfull of dirt.

You're post goes on about a supposed lack of earthworms on your property
but the way you've done your measurements leaves me unconvinced you
have an actual problem.

You go on to suggest importing worms is a "solution".
I think you are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

Anything wrong with your lawn or garden that suggests you do have
a problem?

I think I have lots and lots of worms, even in the lawn.
If I did some digging, I'd expect to find one every second
or third shovel full.

In the compost heap, maybe 1 every shovel full.

I think importing worms is a waste of time.
They'll be there if the conditions are good.

--
Dan Espen