Old 26-05-2015, 08:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default The wisdom of introducing earthworms to a yard

Dan Espen wrote:
User Bp writes:

One thing that struck me is the relative scarcity of earthworms in
both
the garden and lawn areas. ...
In digging in both flowerbeds and the
lawn itself earthworms are seen, but rarely; maybe one every second
or third shovelfull of dirt.

You're post goes on about a supposed lack of earthworms on your
property but the way you've done your measurements leaves me
unconvinced you have an actual problem.

You go on to suggest importing worms is a "solution".
I think you are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

Anything wrong with your lawn or garden that suggests you do have
a problem?

I think I have lots and lots of worms, even in the lawn.
If I did some digging, I'd expect to find one every second
or third shovel full.

In the compost heap, maybe 1 every shovel full.

I think importing worms is a waste of time.
They'll be there if the conditions are good.

The main thing that determines if you have earthworms are the conditions,
organic matter and some moisture in the soil, not whether you have imported
any.

--
David

Corporate propaganda is their