Old 26-05-2015, 02:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
Boron Elgar[_2_] Boron Elgar[_2_] is offline

Default Tomatoes - breaking my oath

On Mon, 25 May 2015 17:00:58 -0700 (PDT), Hypatia Nachshon
wrote:

Here at last is report on the four varieties I planted after consulting with helpful plant guy at my nursery to find "sharp, acid" varieties.

I didn't specify "heirloom" or "organic" but 3 out of 4 fit that bill.

Black Krim - heirloom - organic

Brandywine - heirloom organic

Old German - heirloom - organic

Black Zebra

After [censored] years of planting the tried&true varieties offered for this area, it will be VERY interesting to see how these turn out.

Anybody know if the ones with "black" in the name are really "black"?

TIA for any feedback.

HB

I grow black varieties with some frequency - no, they are not black,
but dark, dark green. There is one variety of blacks that is dark,
dark, dark, but to me, they look a bit like purple plums.

http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/201...ine/33668f.jpg

https://ahmadalijetplane.files.wordp.../2014/01/1.jpg

The fruits from the heirlooms you have should be quite nice, except I
do not generally find these varieties as prolific fruiters. Some can
be. Additionally, what one gain for the flavor, one loses due to
disease susceptibility or cracking. Some years you will be
fine....other years, you'll get caught short.

I generally plant a mix of heirlooms and others, including cherry
varieties. It is hard to lose an entire crop of cherries, so there is
always something to harvest.

I have at least 15 different varieties planted and a bunch o'
volunteers that will surprise me as the season goes on.