Old 28-05-2015, 04:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lynx reintroduction

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 03 May 2015 13:26:47 +0100, Phil Cook

wrote:

On 03/05/2015 12:43, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 3 May 2015 13:28:16 +0200, Michael Uplawski
wrote:

On Sun, 03 May 2015 11:47:00 +0100,
Tim Watts wrote:

There is a simple solution to protecting yourself: don't be an
arsehole.

And if you get unlucky - let it attack you? No thanks.

There is a simple European truth to learn: You wern't and we aren't.
This "if the wolves attack your cows" thing and the "thanks to guns
there is less trouble" thing isn't applicable in a hypothetic
environment.

Wild boar definitely attack people without provocation. I've seen it
happen
quite close to Toulouse.

I rather think they don't. Where boar are hunted they are likely to
associate the bipedal animal in its territory as a threat based on
past experience. It is probably that the people unthinkingly provoke
the animal by cornering it or getting between it and its young.

The boar that tried to attack us came out of a corn field after we stopped
our
car to help two young women who had overturned their car on the old road
between
Toulouse and Carcassonne. We just beat it to our car. It chased the car
down the
road. Nobody had done anything to provoke it.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

I believe you. I was in Germany with wild boars, and the best thing to do
is high tail it out of there if you hear them approaching. Normally they
are shy, but sometimes the old boys are not and can be quite dangerous.
There are so many wild boar in Lower Saxony that there are wooden towers in
the fields so the farmers can shoot them from above because they destroy
their crops.