Old 02-06-2015, 12:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default birds on deck, and squirrel

On 5/28/2015 9:32 AM, Gus Overton wrote:
Hello,

Anyone have ideas on how to keep birds off a deck? I had the deck recently stained and repaired and almost every day there are 2-3 bird poop on the top railings. Mourning doves seem to be the worst about doing this... And the other day, I noticed one of the top top posts was gnawed a bit. Which the squirrel has done in the past. Anyone else have these problems, and what do you do? I wash off the bird poop since that can't be good for the wood, and is unsightly.

A wire or nylon fishing line running along and above the railing will
probably keep them from perching there - string it about 2" above. I
have also seen grids of about 4-6" squares made from nylon fishing line
to keep birds out. A flower box might be a good alternative; I have
seen doves nesting in flower boxes (and on the light outside my front
door ) ).