Old 02-06-2015, 06:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Picking

Yesterday afternoon I found another giant zucchini hiding in the garden.
After chasing it down and executing it I washed it and cut both ends off
and sliced it down the middle. Very small seeds, took them out with the
melon baller, tied it shut again with string and put it in the fridge.
This afternoon it will be stuffed with pork sausage, bread crumbs,
chopped onion and garlic chives, and chopped sweet chiles then baked. It
has been a long time since we used this recipe but we are looking
forward to it. May even add a little cooked brown rice to the mix and
lots of spices.

We've had three days of sunshine and everything in the garden is
exploding. Tomatoes are ripening rapidly so we're eating fresh tomatoes
at every meal. Crowder peas are climbing the twine and the two corn
stalks that survived are about three feet tall. Trucker's Favorite can
get up to ten feet tall so I'm waiting to see. Green beans are flowering
again, the lima bean pods are starting to fill up and the eggplants are
going crazy. Picked four more nice Ichiban fruit yesterday and the
American Beauty eggplant fruit is as big as a baseball already. Cukes
are making faster than we can eat them so we're sharing the bounty with
neighbors.

I'm off to see the neurologist this afternoon to see what can be done
with the increasing paralysis on the right side of my body. Probably
nothing but we have good Medicare coverage and are using it.

The figs are getting larger by the day and the two lonely pears are
doing the same. It rained for so long I sort of miss the "tinkle,
tinkle" of rain on the roof vents and Tilly can go outside anytime she
wants. It's a good day in the neighborhood.