Old 02-06-2015, 10:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
hubops[_4_] hubops[_4_] is offline

Default red current bush - loss of ~ all leaves

snips

Might be sawfly larvae. They can devastate a bush.

Thanks for that suggestion - it gives me a starting point
for identifying the bug - and then learning about control.
I'll put one under the scope and use some web searches
to identify .. hopefully. My first two web sites look promising ..
http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/...find/sawflies/
http://www.pbase.com/tmurray74/sawfly_larvae
John T.

Bingo ... I think - Much thanks !
When, at first - I quickly examined the bush - I didn't see
any caterpillers - I was looking for something bigger -
- second examination was at dusk - the 1 or 2 tiny
larva that I saw looked almost black .
Today in bright light it took me a few minutes to locate
a couple of green larva with black markings ...
Under my 5 x loupe ..
They look exactly like this photo of the gooseberry sawfly !

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=517

This was from a UK website - I'm in Canada ..
my only minor question as to identification .. ?
John T.