Old 03-06-2015, 08:47 AM
The Lawn Store The Lawn Store is offline
Registered User

Location: Salisbury
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by houser85 View Post
Hi All,

I moved into my first house last year and have been trying to make my lawn as good as possible. I think the sod used wasn't ideal so I'd like to make the best of it. Some areas need reseeding in autumn due to leatherjacket beetles last year and tall fescue weeds growing so I have some questions.

My grass is apparently made from the following mix:
30% dwarf amenity rye
20% smooth stalked meadow
30% slender creeping red fescue
20% chewings fescue

1) what is the ideal cutting height for a mix like this? I just cut at 6cm because I'm unsure.
2) when I reseed, should I try to match the original mix or use it as an opportunity to put down some better seed? If I bought something with a similar but not identical mix, would that be a problem?

Info:
-Bristol area of the UK.
-Happy to dedicate up to 6 hours per week to lawn care.
-Happy to spend money on good seeds etc

-anything else you may want to know to help?

Thanks for the help guys
It seems to me that you have chosen a good general purpose seed mixture which should perform well and create a good quality lawn.
I would say you are mowing a bit too high and would recommend a height of 3-4 cm once established. The key to a healthy lawn is regular mowing, at least once or twice per week and remember to make sure your blade is sharp!