Old 03-06-2015, 10:21 PM
peas_22 peas_22 is offline
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcvbob View Post
Do they need to wait until the soil is warm, or plant as soon as it
thaws and nights are usually above freezing? Or do they need to be
started indoors in pots, then set out like tender annuals?

I almost bought a dozen bedding dahlias at Sam's Club today, but then
thought it might be too early. I know they are day-length sensitive;
that's why I've never tried starting 'em from seeds (days are long while
it's still cold up here)

Thanks,
Bob, in southern MN
Dahlias are summer blooming tubers that are generally only hardy in USDA zones 7-11. Almost of the country, Dahlias must be planted each spring and then cut back and dug each fall after the first killing frost.

Dahlia plants grow and bloom best in full sun, tolerate most soil types, but prefer a sandy, well drained, slightly acidic soil with a pH of 6.2- 6.5.
If your soil is heavy or clay, adding sand and peat moss will help to lighten it.