Old 03-06-2015, 10:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default planting a tree

On 6/3/2015 10:16 AM, peas_22 wrote:
'herb white[_2_ Wrote:
;1013289']I recently purchased an autumn blaze maple tree about 6 feet
tall. I would like any info on how to plant it. Thanks for any reply

-Look up Stand in the spot where you want to plant the tree and look up.
Make sure nothing is in the way — Autumn Blazes can grow to be 50 feet
tall.

-Look for shade Look for shade that still allows some sunlight. The tree
will grow better in a partially shaded area.

-Feel the soil Feel the soil. The Autumn Blaze requires moist but
well-draining soil. Even though the tree is relatively drought tolerant,
plant it in an area that you can water during a dry spell.

-Measure out 20 feet Measure 20 feet from the nearest building or other
tall tree. The Autumn Blaze has a tendency to spread up to 40 feet in
diameter.

-Consider shallow roots Consider the impact of its shallow and sometimes
surface root system. Chances are this tree is a good choice for just
about anywhere you want to plant it.

Check the pH of the soil. Maples prefer acid soil. If the soil is
alkaline, add a small -- repeat: SMALL -- amount of soil sulfur to the
planting hole and stir in a generous amount of peat moss.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see