Old 07-06-2015, 02:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Boron Elgar[_2_] Boron Elgar[_2_] is offline

Default can I separate my zuke sprouts in their cups?

On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 06:58:04 -0400, songbird
wrote:

T wrote:
I am concerned that the roots would be entangled and trying
to separate them would kill both of them

if you really need that many plants you can try
to untangle them, but disturbing the root systems
does cost some time/growth in recovery after
transplanting.

i would plant them out as they are and then
give them a week or two and then snip the weakest
plants to give the stronger plants the space.

songbird

I separate all the time with with tomatoes and corn. Some seedlings I
would not dare mess with but these have proved no problem.

There is a bit of method to the madness, but my success rate is
extremely high.

I also overcrowd some beds beyond any sane recommendations. At times,
it takes a different kind of tending in season, but with most of what
I grow it works well. Only complete failure with overly close quarters
has been consistent and occurs with broccoli.

Not to say all other crops will thrive this way, but some will
tomatoes, various bush and pole beans and corn.

In other cases the crowding is done deliberately to affect the sizes
of the crop - I love micro/small greens and itty-bitty radishes.

I use the garden as one vast laboratory.

Boron