Old 08-06-2015, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Any ideas what this is?

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 22:36:52 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

Seen on a recent visit to RHS Rosemoor, lots of small patches of what
looked
like soap suds, but was more reluctant to disperse when touched, some were
in the form of tube shapes some were as per the picture below, all were on
the grass, none on the paths.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/892196...posted-public/

I think NM may have it right with slime mould.
I found these, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuligo_septica and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physarum_polycephalum which although not
identical to yours, are similar.

Not what yours is, but we occasionally get similar blobs of foam on
our grass after a strong gale, when the strength of the wind lifts sea
foam up from the beach. We're 300ft above and 700yds inland from the
shore line. Can't see them getting blown from the coast all the way to
Rosemoor though (although we do get Sahara sand....).

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

It was last Thursday Chris so not really stormy enough for that, although
like you I have seen it a long way inland.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs