Old 08-06-2015, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Malcolm Ogilvie Malcolm Ogilvie is offline

Default Any ideas what this is?

On Mon, 08 Jun 2015 08:28:51 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 22:36:52 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

Seen on a recent visit to RHS Rosemoor, lots of small patches of what looked
like soap suds, but was more reluctant to disperse when touched, some were
in the form of tube shapes some were as per the picture below, all were on
the grass, none on the paths.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/892196...posted-public/

I think NM may have it right with slime mould.
I found these, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuligo_septica and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physarum_polycephalum which although not
identical to yours, are similar.

Not what yours is, but we occasionally get similar blobs of foam on
our grass after a strong gale, when the strength of the wind lifts sea
foam up from the beach. We're 300ft above and 700yds inland from the
shore line. Can't see them getting blown from the coast all the way to
Rosemoor though (although we do get Sahara sand....).

If you put "Slime moulds" into Google, and then click on "Images" you will see photos of a
wide variety of supposed slime moulds, some of which, though, have turned out to be
unfertilised frog spawn, not that I think yours is.

We also get sea foam in the garden, but then we're only about 10 feet above and 20 yards
from the sho-)