Old 13-06-2015, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tough Guy no. 1265 Tough Guy no. 1265 is offline

Default Gate made of hedge?

On Sat, 13 Jun 2015 11:23:27 +0100, Bob Hobden wrote:

"Charlie Pridham" wrote

"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
Has anyone has ever made a gate out of hedge? It should be possible to
have a long thin plantpot containing the hedge, which could then be
hinged.

--
Life is sexually transmitted

It would need a substantial gate post that was braced well as the leverage
from the weight of soil in the container would be great, and I think the
frame for the actual gate would have to be of metal rather than wood for
the same reason, but in theory you could do it.

I would suggest a wheel on the opening side of the gate to take some of the
weight. Neighbour had a large wrought iron gate fitted, farm gate length,
and it has broken the brick pillar despite that having reinforcing down the
middle. A wheel would have stopped that problem happening!

Yes I've seen farm gates with wheels. Only works on tarmac or solid ground though, if you've got a muddy field it's no good.

--
Q. What did the sign on the door of the whorehouse say?
A. Beat it - we're closed.