Old 15-06-2015, 03:38 AM posted to rec.gardens
Fran Farmer Fran Farmer is offline

Default Tree advice

On 15/06/2015 5:50 AM, DaveJ86 wrote:
I'm looking for a bit of advice about this tree.

Firstly does anyone know what it is? It looks a bit like a willow, but
I'm quite sure it's not.

It is a willow, specifically a "Tortured Willow" aka Salix Matsudana.

Secondly, would you recommend that I take it down given it's position?

It's surrounded by paving blocks and the roots have started to push them
up. It's grown quite fast and although I like the look of it I think it
might be too large considering its position and surroundings. If I don't
take it down I'll get the pavers around it removed.

You could cut that tree back to its ankles and do that every year for
decades and it'll resprout and give you an attractive bush. You could
cut it back to your shoulder height and the same resprouting would
happen but it'd look less attractive IMO (think pollarded Plane trees
and how tortured those poor things look). Personally, I'd go for the
cut back to the ankles each year.

|Filename: IMG_5725.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16275|
|Filename: IMG_5726.JPG |