Old 01-03-2003, 06:27 PM
Bill

Default For the record (slugs)

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 21:31:07 +0000, DH wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
news
The Univ. of Hawaii research was focused (IIRC) on the effect of the

caffeine on amphibians (frogs, to be precise) and the death of the slugs
was something noticed in passing.

Which begs the question, what is the effect on frogs? I have a few little
musical guys living in my back yard and would hate to harm them.

I don't know. U of H was using a much higher concentration of caffeine than
the grounds idea. Perhaps you could try them in just a small area of the
garden and see if the frogs avoid it. Don't frogs eat slugs?

I have never had frogs come live here and, with a neighborhood over-run
with cats, likely never will. Thus, I don't know what effect this might
have on them.