Old 16-06-2015, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback[_3_] Broadback[_3_] is offline

Default Broad bean woes

On 16/06/2015 08:54, Martin Brown wrote:
On 15/06/2015 21:17, Nick Maclaren wrote:

I always get a few with no flowers, but this year the majority have
none or almost none. Does anyone know why, or what triggers broad
beans to create flowers?

I suspect it isn't warm enough yet. Mine are just about there now but
plants which should normally have been in flower on 5th June still
aren't out. It has been a cold spring and many things are delayed.
(there are still bluebells out in the woods here in N Yorks)

Anything that needs real warmth to get going is sulking at the moment.

I grew my BB in the garage over Winter then put them out a few weeks
ago. I am not picking and enjoying them. Mind you we like them young and
eat them with the pods, delicious!