Old 16-06-2015, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Malcolm Ogilvie Malcolm Ogilvie is offline

Default Broad bean woes

On Tue, 16 Jun 2015 08:54:59 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

On 15/06/2015 21:17, Nick Maclaren wrote:

I always get a few with no flowers, but this year the majority have
none or almost none. Does anyone know why, or what triggers broad
beans to create flowers?

I suspect it isn't warm enough yet. Mine are just about there now but
plants which should normally have been in flower on 5th June still
aren't out. It has been a cold spring and many things are delayed.
(there are still bluebells out in the woods here in N Yorks)

Anything that needs real warmth to get going is sulking at the moment.

Absolutely agree.

Just taken some visitors keen on seeing some of our wild flowers to a usually very good
site for a variety of species, including several nice orchdis, to find everything well
behind this year. Instead of saying "you should have been here last week", it was a
question of saying "you should have come next week or even the week after".