Old 16-06-2015, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Vir Campestris Vir Campestris is offline

Default Wild Orchids (was Broad bean woes)

On 16/06/2015 18:44, Malcolm Ogilvie wrote:
Just taken some visitors keen on seeing some of our wild flowers to a usually very good
site for a variety of species, including several nice orchdis, to find everything well
behind this year. Instead of saying "you should have been here last week", it was a
question of saying "you should have come next week or even the week after".

pricks up ears A gardener who knows about wild orchids? Perhaps you
can help.

Last summer - our first in this house - I noticed an odd looking plant
in the grass, and as it was at the edge I let it grow to see what would
happen. It turned out to be a bee orchid. This years I've got my eye in,
and I've found a couple of dozen. They're just coming in to flower.

They've obviously survived at least 15 years of just being mowed - but
what's the best way to make them flourish?

Andy