Old 17-06-2015, 05:17 AM posted to rec.gardens
Fran Farmer Fran Farmer is offline

Default What is this plant?

On 16/06/2015 11:43 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 12:32:27 +1000, Fran Farmer
wrote:

On 14/06/2015 1:57 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
On Sun, 14 Jun 2015 12:51:28 +1000, Fran Farmer
wrote:

On 12/06/2015 11:01 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
On Thu, 11 Jun 2015 23:02:12 +0200, Scorpiogirl
wrote:

Or possible weed? It looks spiky but is not. Any ideas?

|Filename: image.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16272|

Almost looks like oak. What sort of stem/trunk does it have? How is it
branching?

Oak? As in an oak tree?

Yes. Mighty oaks from little nuts grow....

True, but I htought I'd sek clarification as I know Americans give
unusual names to some plants so wondered if it was in one of those
categories, for example, I've heard of "poison oak" always got the
impression that with a name like that, it might be a ground dweller
rather than a tree and that was what was in your mind.

That plant is only about 2-3ft high from looking at the soil beside the
pant and it has a leaf like any oak I've ever seen.

Well, it had similarities to red oak to my weary eyes.

Now I'm going to have to get out my tree reference books because it
didn't make me think of Red oak so I'll have to have a shoofty and check
out the wonderful oak family again.

Granted, not
everyone's photos give decent representation of size...or even of
shape, at times. And there are a lot of different oaks out there.

True, but it was the soil beside the plant that I looked at for size.

There is nothing in the photo that indicates specific size, but
judging by all the plants nearby and the profusion of leaves and
pattern of leaf growth, this thing is not a ground-hugger by any
means.

No, it's certainly not a grund hugger or a ground cover by any means but
from the soil beside the plant, it can't be more than 2 ft tall.

https://www.extension.iastate.edu/fo...ED2_leaves.jpg

We'll probably never hear another thing form the OP since the post came
from gardenbanter.

Doesn't bother me...still makes for good conversation here.

And you should take a look at the site sometime. It is an interesting
collection of topic-related Usenet groups all together. Really, it is
not an abomination.

I've had a look there but most gardenbeanter posters seem to appear once
and then not again for some reason.

I have a feeling that their questions appear here, but our replies do
not necessarily appear to them - either at all, easily found, or
easily responded to. I other words, it may be a breeze to start a
thread at garden banter, but difficult to participate in an ongoing
one.

Yes, I've always suspected that too because of the lack of any followup
posts form that source. I haven't ever bothered to psot there so don't
really know for sure though.

I find tablets to be quite irritating except when travelling.

It is the way of the world.I know what my clients are doing and all my
market research is pointing towards.Fewer and fewer home desktops are
available, more companies are making the changeover to laptops and
docking stations and traditional laptops are being replaced by things
like the MS Surface.

I am comfy with all of them, though prefer certain of them for
particular tasks.

I really like a traditional machine - a screen in front of me that stand
up by itself and a good keyboard that I could pound on if I was really
getting into the swing of a response. I hate tapping at screens which
aren't made for real human sized fingers. I'm a dinosaur.