Old 18-06-2015, 10:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default My Garden

On 6/18/2015 10:01 AM, The Cook wrote:
is doing pretty well now. We have most of the weeds under control but
I need a couple more mornings to finish up. I can get in about 2
hours between 6 and 9 am. Then it is well on its way to 90.
The cukes are almost overridden by weeds

George, I wish we had some of your rain here. We watered peppers &
squash yesterday and the sprinkler is going on the tomatoes right now.

We got hammered again today Susan. About four inches starting around
1000 and lasting until after lunch. Came in bursts of heavy rain.
Weather folk say that is the last of Tropical Storm Bill, I hope they're
right.

Zukes have both and male & female flowers but haven't seen any insects
yet. The cukes are flowering and waiting for the weeds to get pulled.
The peppers have fruit, at least the pimento and jalapeƱo do. Tomatoes
are every where from no flowers yet to fruit that is almost up to
size, if as I assume, they are Early Girl. Waiting for the
blueberries to get fully ripe. We have them netted but birds still
sometimes get in. It is fun to watch them trying to get out.

Zukes and yellow squash have been pulled as the squash borers got to
them. Planted two more young yellow squash plants. Sweet chiles are
making like gangbusters again. I think it is because the zukes are no
longer shading them. Tomatoes are going crazy, we're freezing them,
eating them, giving them away, making tomato dishes and freezing them.
DW planted entirely to many tomato plants for two old people and, of
course, all our family and neighbors did the same. Cucumbers are, I
hope, on the decline. There are only so many cukes two people can eat.
Eggplant are coming in like gangbusters but we are making moussaka,
fritters, roll ups, etc. out of them so we will have many good meals
this winter.

Crowder peas and lima beans are making out well and our Trucker's
Favorite single corn stalk has an ear building, can hardly wait for that
one. Lots of figs on our young fig tree and, like you, we have it netted
due to the !@#$ mockingbirds that raid every chance they get.

Guess I better get started on some of the things in the house.

Why? Gardening, reading, watching TV, are all better than housework. G