Old 19-06-2015, 02:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default My Garden

On 6/18/2015 5:44 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
On 6/18/2015 10:01 AM, The Cook wrote:
George, I wish we had some of your rain here. We watered peppers &
squash yesterday and the sprinkler is going on the tomatoes right
now.

We got hammered again today Susan. About four inches starting around
1000 and lasting until after lunch. Came in bursts of heavy rain.
Weather folk say that is the last of Tropical Storm Bill, I hope
they're right.

T.S. Bill's about 100 miles west and a little south of us right now and
headed our way , we expect him to blow thru between 8 and 12 this evening .
We've been getting off-n-on heavy rain since early yesterday . Timing was
just about perfect , it was getting kinda dry out in the garden .
Red Ripper and Whipoorwill peas that I planted a few days ago have
sprouted , going like gangbusters . My other in law suggested today I can
still plant some of those Mattie Beane beans , it'll just be a late crop ...
shucks , our first freeze here isn't usually until mid-October so she's
right , I've got like 120 days til then . Tomorrow , today's shot and I
gotta figure out where to put 'em .

We use newspaper to smother any weeds that come up. Put down triple
layers and wet them, then, if available, toss a little dirt on top. News
print today is not made with harmful chemicals any more and the ink is
made of pine rosin and soy oils. Even the comic strips today are made of
clay ink instead of chemicals.

Found out the above many years ago when I was doing a fire and safety
review for a company that got the pine rosin out of the pine timber they
were cutting and turning into wood products. Was an interesting concept
and did away with the old sulphuric acid and other "bad" chemicals that
were used prior to that.