Old 19-06-2015, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Broad bean woes

On 16/06/2015 12:23, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

I suspect it isn't warm enough yet. Mine are just about there now but
plants which should normally have been in flower on 5th June still
aren't out. It has been a cold spring and many things are delayed.
(there are still bluebells out in the woods here in N Yorks)

Anything that needs real warmth to get going is sulking at the moment.

Broad beans don't. It may have been TOO hot for them, but it is
extremely odd the way that they have behaved. I have grown them for
38 years, and this is the first time it has happened on more than a
minor scale.

I have to say mine are OK, but the climbing beans are all way behind.

My H. petiolaris still isn't out and is now two weeks late.
It is normally regular as clockwork in full flower on 5th June.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown